Bloc Party - This Modern Love


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



“Baby you’ve got to be more discerning/ I’ve never known what’s good for me/ Maybe you’ve got to be more demanding.”

There are some chords which are so achingly evocative that they seem to thread their way into me, cutting a clear path past my defenses and just lingering: a shiver in my ribcage. And from the start, these take hold; plaintive and subdued, yet avoiding a blatant melancholy. Such a subtle insistence, the vocals lending calm sweetness; each soft build and low tone distant with delicious echo.

The thing is, there’s a joy to this. Resigned? Yes. Understated? Yes. But in a way that holds your heart lightly, not dragging you down. The pacing of the chords and rising drums lift delightful crescendo, evocative of the Stills. But not that same. Rhythms reminiscent of the Postal Service. Yet so different.

The hype is justified, (now how often do you get to say that?)


0 Responses to “Bloc Party - This Modern Love”

comment

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


PopText