Butterfly Boucher - Another White Dash


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



“There is something/ Deep and pulling/ Leaving everything behind/ Something about having everything you think you’ll ever need/ Sitting in the seat next to you.”

Drive.

I have a thing about road trip songs. Car songs. Traveling songs. It goes back to when I was a child; the only time I could be guaranteed my father’s undivided attention being when he was driving me back and forth from somewhere. Out of the car there were always tasks to be done, other people’s children requiring attention, the opportunity for him to ‘rest his eyes’ mid-conversation. But in that little bubble of air conditioning and concrete view, he was mine.

Now its journeys in general. The fast/ red/ bass-full combination of summer and 2manyDJs, the gentle 3am hum of the coach as it pulls me back from London. Here there are half-ominous cello and chorus string interludes, giving way to strumming diversion. Generic alt-rock Lilith Fair voice, but somehow it works, with half-beat pauses and that inevitable chorus of winding repetition.

Because Butterfly gets it, despite the unfortunate name. She knows the sinking slumber of empty motorways and neon squiggles in my tired eyes, hand resting at the back of some paramour’s neck.

Going somewhere.
Getting there fast.


1 Responses to “Butterfly Boucher - Another White Dash”

  1. Blogger Jessica 

    Another excellent choice! I also love journeys because it's the only time when I don't feel like there is something more important I should be doing, as you can't really do much except nothing.

comment

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


PopText