Skye Sweetnam - Number One/ Bonnie McKee - Trouble (Teen Angst Special!)


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



“One day/ You’ll see me/ But only when you’re dreaming/ One day/ You’ll see I’m number one.”

I’m no longer a teen and thus, sadly, I can no longer legitimately angst. Sure, I can stamp my foot and pout and slam my bedroom door screaming “Muuuuum, I HATE you!”, but it doesn’t count: it’s not angst, it’s twenty-something ennui. Sigh.*

But Skye can angst, oh yes indeed. That particular breed of self-centred petulance that strops its way through bouncing riffs and exuberant posing. Because you ARE the axis upon which the universe rests! Because inane lyrics and fuck you air punches are SO the way to deal with your emotions! Because, like, this is an awesome tune to leap around to in your bedroom before you take yourself and your fake ID out to some sleazy rock club to try and pick up unsuitable menfolk!

Speaking of which…

“I see the danger that lies beyond your eyes/ And I want to scream when you're rubbing on my thighs/ I know I should but I can't say no”

Bonnie knows all about the sting of failed love affairs, and thankfully has poured all her sharp bitterness into a sensuously sinuous burst of acrid regret. Her vocals swoop deliciously between remorse and frustration; the perfect portrayal of that mistake you made, but oh, what fun it was.

Instead of explicit rage or wailing anguish, there’s something wonderfully controlled about the track. A subtle rumble of drum, the odd tremble of strings, while the bass and chords keep a chunky, insistent canvas. Everything reined in, yet with an irresistible swing to each slinking stride. Utterly seductive.

*Not that I ever actually angsted; I wallowed, I moped, hell I even threw in some weeping from time to time – you know, mixing things up a little. But mine was one of those liberal households that held nothing to rebel against. You know: condoms freely distributed, no curfew. Except for, like, the deviant consumption of non-organic produce, nothing was out-of-bounds.

** Also can be streamed as audio from official website - second track on the player.


0 Responses to “Skye Sweetnam - Number One/ Bonnie McKee - Trouble (Teen Angst Special!)”

comment

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


PopText