Dragonette - I Get Around


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...




“Here I come/ When I better go/ I say yes/ When I ought to say no.”

As is so often the way in this game, somebody else was here first, but in this case it’s a fact deliciously apt for the resigned anthem of slutastic behaviour. Want wanton ways? Want morning after blues?

Here ya go, just don’t expect this girl to be returning your calls, m’dear.

From the first burst of crunk-style synth whine, I almost expect the ubiquitous announcement that this is a Jazzy Fizzle production (Sho’ nuff!). Bring the bling and thigh-thrusting ‘empowerment’, dudes. We got us some club action. But no, what’s this? A cooing Annie iced vocal! ‘Chewing Gum’ enunciation = clear pop burst v2.0?

First impressions can be deceptive, huh? See, this is no ordinary electro-neauvaux-uber-quasi-pop artwork; it’s so much more. Artfully dancing along the jaunty indie-electro divide, the blend levels to careless, downbeat exposition. Silent slide out of a foreign bed, creeping guilty grin. Smooth it lilts to that chorus of delicious ‘where the hell’s my underwear?’ resignation; not so much regret as sweet shrugging acceptance. The loop of a single line with blissfully restrained glee.

You know how it feels.


1 Responses to “Dragonette - I Get Around”

  1. Blogger Marcus 

    Like it! It IS just one slutty affair after another with Dragonette. (At the show with Annie, Martina did an acapella song called "Growing Titties for Daddy" before launching into "I Get Around"). And I have to say that your aptly worded appreciation of the band is very street! Here's the book version - and I don't mind you didn't mention that I wrote it before you got to too. :)

comment

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


PopText