Rilo Kiley - Portions for Foxes


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...




“I’ve got blood in my mouth/ ‘Cause I’ve been biting my tongue all week/ I’ve been talking trash/ But I never say anything.”

I’m not sure how I got to this late in the year without posting this; maybe because it’s such an understated, slow-build creation, or perhaps because I don’t engage with it in the same immediate ‘squeee’ manner of the fluxpop. There isn’t the emotional pull of the deeper stuff, nor even the hip-shake jaunt some chord progressions get me with. No, this one connects straight to that knowing smile as we all listen to “And the talking leads to touching/ Then the touching leads to sex/ And then there is no mystery left.” with a rueful nod. It’s my mind which is so pleased; that analytical distance of self-awareness which smiles along.

As a song, of course, it’s effortlessly pleasant: sliding along with the delightful ringing melodies and all. But see, it’s all in that perfect, petulantly resigned delivery. The metal bite of lyrics, the faint bitterness and acceptance – crafting the sophisticated whole. You toy with your cocktail garnish as you listen to your friend tell the same old story; dark wood, elegant beads and prerequisite sarcastic banter. But even sitting there, you’re aware of the clichéd scene you’re participating in – and no matter how jaded you feel, there’s no escaping it. You’ll reapply your lipstick and make eye contact with the suit by the bar, and next week you’ll be the one sitting opposite, telling all with a wry grin as you swear it will be different next time.

I sometimes wonder how a few thousand years of human development is change at all when the stories essentially stay the same.

Download
Buy ‘More Adventurous’ from Amazon


4 Responses to “Rilo Kiley - Portions for Foxes”

  1. Anonymous Anonymous 

    Another great choice. I've been enchanted with this song, the album it comes from, and, yes, Jenny Lewis for most of this year. Her upcoming album with the Watson Twins leans less toward more toward the country-soul side of things, but it's no less pleasing melodically or intriguing lyrically.

    Speaking of intriguing, your writing has a wonderful stream-of-consciousness flow to it. :-)

  2. Anonymous Anonymous 

    PS The picture you posted doesn't seem to be working.

  3. Anonymous Anonymous 

    *huggles*

    It's brilliant.

  4. Anonymous Anonymous 

    Yes, great song -- I heard it on Grey's Anatomy, which has some great music as well.

comment

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


PopText